Monday, March 05, 2012

My thoughts for class today

Hi everyone. Sorry to miss today. After more reading and getting even more bogged down in the enormity of environmental problems, I realized that the only message I was SURE of was to encourage designers (and everyone, really) to use local manufacturing sources when choosing products - whether carpeting, wall coverings, furniture or building products.  It won't be possible to buy EVERYTHING from local sources when providing commercial services, but it's a good place to start, so that's my message. Start with local sources, and work your way out.  I'm still trying to come up with my exact title/slogan/message, so I just started writing down thoughts. If anyone else is thinking along these lines, maybe you can improve or expand upon one of these.

YOU ARE HERE - so is most of what you need.
I keep thinking about the star on a map. There might be a better following tagline. But I want it to communicate to start where you are. This could tell the story of how buying goods and services locally can have a huge environmental impact as opposed to buying all imported goods. I think this goes with everything we've been discussing about the visuals.

Buying Local - It's bigger than you think

Buy Local - Impact the World

Save the Planet - Buy Local
 

Local Hero
 

Design Hero - Use Local Sources

Join the buy local revolution

Join the Design Revolution - Use Local Sources

Strategic Sourcing | Environmental Impact

Think Globally, Design Locally

Join the big picture by taking a small step - commit to buying locally & regionally

Think before you buy


I guess my favorites of these are You Are Here (because I feel like this could expand)
and one of the "hero" ideas, Design Hero or Local hero (it could expand also, but it implies that the designer/consumer has power, instead of being helpless to make a change). I'll look forward to hearing what you discuss. I will say that I like the "Everything Must Go" exhibit on recycling and I will read Katia's post.





One other thought I had as I was reading was "The Hidden Cost of Cheap" I came across a reference to this concept on the OECOTEXTILES blog.

See you Wed.

No comments: